Senior Curator with expertise in photography and new media
Employer: Henie Onstad Kunstsenter
Title: Senior Curator
Application deadline:23. October 2017
Starting date: by arrangement
Henie Onstad is seeking a Senior Curator with expertise in photography and new media, to strengthen our curatorial staff
Henie Onstad Kunstsenter aims to re-establish its position as a home of photographic art in Norway through an ambitious 5-year program of exhibitions and promotion. This investment will serve as an important supplement to the existing venues currently prioritising the display of photography in Norway.
We are seeking a senior curator who can help us to develop this program in collaboration with the Centre’s curatorial team. Your primary task will be to build awareness of, and engagement with, photography as a medium of visual expression through the Henie Onstad Kunstsenter’s ongoing exhibition and education program. You must have a proven record of success with exhibition work, and possess a keen interest in working with contemporary as well as modern art and photography. Knowledge and experience of working with a collection are an advantage. We expect you to possess a broad network of contacts, both national and international, within the field in which you will be working.
You have excellent communication skills, both written and spoken, with documented results of working with text and publications. You are a structured and precise worker, and understand that both small and large scale challenges must be met if success is to be achieved.
You are inspired by the prospect of working independently in an interdisciplinary environment. We are looking for a creative, flexible person who can cope with a heavy workload and understands that cooperation and coordination across the entire organisation are necessary for the Centre to achieve its goal.
The position will be on our curatorial team, and will report to the Chief Curator.
- A minimum of a master’s degree in art history or another relevant subject
- Documented ability within the field of photography and new media
- A documented track record of exhibition work relating to contemporary/modern art
- Documented results of working with publications and text
- Excellent communication skills in both Norwegian and English, spoken and, especially, written
- You are a team player, and understand the full breadth of the Henie Onstad Kunstsenter’s work
- You are self-motivated and results-driven
- Creative, with a strong understanding of the field
- High capacity for work
- You are motivated when the Henie Onstad Kunstsenter achieves its goals, and are inspired by the prospect of creating and curating a relevant programme that will connect with a wide audience
- A challenging position in one of the leading Nordic art centres
- The chance to play an instrumental role in the formation of the Henie Onstad Kunstsenter’s new investment in photography, and in the curatorial program
- An attractive package of social benefits, and office space on the scenic Høvikodden headland
- Salary by arrangement
The Henie Onstad Kunstsenter is a leading arena for national and international art, with a central collection and a broad program of exhibitions and musical events. Henie Onstad Kunstsenter hosts 6–7 exhibitions per year, showcasing both modernism and contemporary art, while at the same time working constantly with the artistic catalogues for our exhibitions. The photography exhibitions will run as part of this program. The curatorial team currently comprises three curators, as well as a project coordinator, music coordinator, and a conservator. The Henie Onstad Kunstsenter communicates with a wide audience. It has workshops for children, alongside a broad array of media facilities, shops, meeting rooms, the Bølgen & Moi restaurant, and a sculpture park in magnificent surroundings, all located just 15 minutes from Oslo city centre.
Location: Henie Onstad Kunstsenter, Sonja Henies vei 31, 1311 Høvikodden
For further information on this position, please contact Chief Curator Caroline Ugelstad.
Tel.: (+47) 959 89 687
The application can be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Torunn Helland Flesjø, Henie Onstad Kunstsenter, Sonja Henies vei 31, N-1311 Høvikodden, Norway. Mark the application "photo curator".